If you run your WordPress blog for some time, there’s a chance you may need to access WordPress Appearance Editor.
But the question is “What to do if this option is missing in your WordPress dashboard?”.
Why Is WordPress Appearance Editor Missing?
There are two reasons why WordPress Appearance Editor is missing:
- your wp-config.php file’s configuration does not allow to edit files using the editor,
- you have any security plugin (probably iThemes Security) installed and activated.
How To Restore WordPress Appearance Editor
So here’s what you should do in order to restore WordPress Appearance Editor function:
1. Change just one setting in wp-config.php file.
1. Go to WP File Manager (you will to need to install and activate it first if you haven’t done that yet).
2. Right-click wp-config.php file and choose Code Editor from the menu.
3. Look for a line:
and replace true with false:
4. After clicking Save & Close, you can clear the cache and check whether you can access Appearance -> (Theme) Editor.
In my case, the function was still not available.
If this is also your case, it means that you should go to step number 2.
2. Deactivate iThemes Security Plugin
WordPress Appearance Editor is often not available because it can be blocked by some security plugins.
Usually, it’s enough to deactivate iThemes Security (if you use it),
and the Editor goes back to the WordPress dashboard.
If this step didn’t help you anyway, try to deactivate any other security plugin you may have activated, clear the cache again and check the result again.
Rinse and repeat until you fix the issue. 🙂
Personally, I do not see any reason to use this WordPress feature (which is available in Appearance -> Theme Editor).
However, I’m aware that there are many people who try to find a solution of this issue.
So now, they can find it in this article.
But in the long run, it’s obviously your choice whether you prefer to use the Editor feature or have your site better protected against hackers and malware. 🙂
Rafał Alitojć is a graduate of two universities (PWSZ in Zamość and PJATK in Warsaw).
Besides, he is the founder & owner of AliveBetter blog where you can find some cool information mainly about blogging, SEO, and marketing, but also about personal development, finance, health, traveling, IT, and education.