Every decision made by human is caused by prospective short-term and long-term benefits and losses. It refers to bigger, important decisions as well as small ones such as “get up now or sleep one more hour” or “eat cake or not”.
In order to make a decision making process easier you can try using a method given below:
Get up now:
- short-term pain (restraining yourself from sleeping longer) = -3
- short-term pleasure (more time for doing your tasks) = 7
- long-term pain (slightly shorter sleep) = -2
- long-term pleasure (additional 365 hours a year for work, education etc.) = 10
- sum = -3 + 7 – 2 + 10 = 12
Sleep one more hour:
- short-term pain (one less hour for different tasks every day) = -3
- short-term pleasure (one more hour for sleep) = 3
- long-term pain (365 hours less for different tasks every year) = -7
- long-term pleasure (slightly longer sleep) = 2
- sum = -3 + 3 – 7 + 2 = -5
In this situation it is better to get up earlier (greater sum).
Prospective benefits should be marked by numbers from 0 to 10, negative – from 0 to -10. Sum of the numbers decides which option should be better for you.