In this article, I’ll review the best web hosting providers in the world.
Best Web Hosting 2020
For those who are looking for a good hosting provider I recommend foreign companies with high reputation and international prestige in the first place.
You can also choose one of your domestic hosting providers, but this is your choice.
In this article, I will focus on discussing the best web hosting companies in the world.
My two blogs have been hosted with this company since June 2016 (since the time of creation my first website). In the meantime, I have tested a few other hosting providers such as: Cloudways, Kinsta, Flywheel, and WPX Hosting.
At the beginning, I will present a statistical average page load time on shared hosting from various hosting providers.
Below you will find information about performance of individual servers.
In terms of security, SiteGround is also one of the world leaders.
Technical support in SiteGround versus competition.
Very popular (especially for websites with small or medium traffic) shared hosting is offered by SiteGround in three different price packages and hardware configurations.
Certainly, the most expensive version (GoGeek) offers the most powerful hardware specification. I’ve used this option since I created my first website in June 2016.
GrowBig and GoGeek packages provide access to a very valuable Staging function. This function allows you to create a copy of the page on which you can test various changes and carry out experiments without fear of unintentional destabilization of the publicly available site.
GrowBig and GoGeek packages also increase the possibilities of using website backups.
However, as it comes to staging itself – instead of using the function available in the hosting company you can use this free WordPress plugin.
As it comes to packages, at the beginning you can, of course, choose the cheapest package (StartUp). Remember, however, that in addition to the weakest hardware configuration, you have the option of storing only one site on this type of account! Over time, however, you can upgrade from the StartUp package to GrowBig or GoGeek. 🙂
Personally, I switched to SiteGround cloud hosting in October 2019.
From my own experience, I can say that SiteGround’s shared hosting is amazing, but if your site exceeds 2,000-3,000 daily visitors on your GoGeek account, you should switch to Kinsta, Cloudways, or WPX Hosting.
But now, let’s go back to the shared hosting.
Once you choose the right package for you, you have the option of choosing location of the server on which your files will be stored.
When I was taking uptime measurements on both my blogs, it was 100% according to Uptime Robot statistics.
WordPress recommends SiteGround as one of the best hosting companies.
SiteGround technical support works very fast, professionally and reliably. 3 small technical issues that have happened to me in over two years have been resolved in about 15 minutes.
Below are screenshots from my three tickets:
It is also worth reading this article published on SiteGround blog. Artificial intelligence preventing attacks on the site is the most modern solution, unprecedented so far in any other hosting company.
In addition, it is worth paying attention to the comments under the article. You can read some of them below:
SiteGround – Pros & Cons
– unlimited number of websites;
– unlimited data transfer;
– Staging – the function of creating a copy of the site, so you can easily make changes without the risk of spoiling anything on a publicly available site;
– servers available on 3 continents: USA, Europe, Asia;
– all data is stored on SSD drives;
– Cloudflare CDN – over 190 data centers around the world; files from the main server are copied to data centers, so that the website loads efficiently and quickly regardless of the location of visitor; additionally Cloudflare provides protection against XSS and DDoS attacks; SiteGround offers an additional discount on the paid Cloudflare service plan – the price is 11.95 EUR + tax instead of standard 20 USD monthly;
– SuperCacher – this is a caching feature, which makes the site loading faster (however, for speeding WordPress sites I recommend a paid but amazing plugin called WP Rocket);
– daily backups;
– protection against viruses and hackers;
– SSL certificates (free and paid);
– dedicated IP address;
– private DNS address;
– privacy protection of the domain owner;
– uptime at 99.99% (I showed you before that I even got 100%);
– professional 24/7/365 technical support;
– 30-day money back guarantee;
– there are separate applications for separate websites (no subdomains anymore);
– New Client Area and Site Tools instead of old cPanel;
– very good results in page load tests;
– it is probably the best shared hosting service that you can purchase;
– in case of migration to cloud hosting, it is possible to adapt the configuration to your own needs (both at the first order and at a later time – the so-called autoscaling of resources).
– it is good only for sites with low and medium traffic (after reaching 2,000-3,000 daily visitors I recommend you to switch to one of the next 3 providers from this list).
2. WPX Hosting
This is the second company in this article with headquarters in Bulgaria. The company was founded at the end of 2013.
An interesting feature of WPX Hosting is professional DDoS protection from Imperva (former Incapsula), malware detection and guarantee of removal of potential damages in case of an attack.
As you can see on the screenshot above, WPX Hosting offers only 3 packages, which is a huge advantage their for customers.
The most expensive package, costing just 99 USD per month, should handle traffic exceeding 1 million unique visitors per month.
Unlike at Kinsta, there are no additional fees associated with an increased number of visitors.
People who like animals should be very interested in the fact that WPX Hosting helps survive hundreds of homeless dogs from Bulgarian shelters. It is a unique initiative in the technology industry. I think that it is worth supporting such initiatives.
One Thing That Could Be Improved
In WPX Hosting, there’s something called main domain.
In other words, if there’s more than one domain, they are not separate entities. There’s one main domain which cannot be deleted.
Not so long time ago, SiteGround offered very similar solution.
Fortunately, they have implemented separate domains with their New Client Area and Site Tools.
I hope that WPX Hosting will do something similar in the future.
WPX Hosting – Pros & Cons
– no restrictions on the CPU and RAM;
– the ability to host multiple websites in each price package;
– very low prices of packages;
– free repair of the damage in case of potential attacks;
– excellent technical support.
– for some customers, the amount of disk space may seem to be not enough;
– websites hosted with WPX Hosting are not completely independent (it’s not a disaster, but I hope it will be fixed very soon).
It is a company founded in 2012. Recently, it has gained quite a lot of popularity.
As you can see on the screenshot above, this is a cloud hosting provider. There is no possibility to use shared hosting or dedicated servers what might seem to be an issue for some potential customers.
I used this company’s services since August 2018 till February 2019.
You can create any number of servers, but there is a condition here. If you create several servers in one day, your account will be automatically blocked, which will force you to contact technical support or to give up the platform.
For me, the first week of using the platform (in my case it was testing various configurations) was very hard. All I had to do was to create several servers, test them and delete them, and it meant that my account became blocked. The technical support employee unlocked the account, but their software rules were blocking it again.
Eventually, another technical support employee turned off those automatic locks on my account and since then I have not experienced any issues with Cloudways! 🙂
How Cloudways Payments Work
Payments in Cloudways are calculated on an hourly basis. This fee is fortunately automatically converted into the amount due per month, which you might have noticed on the previous screenshot.
The platform has a function that displays current expenses and a forecast of expenses for the current month.
The amount due is drawn from the virtual wallet, which can be credited with the use of a PayPal account or a credit/debit card.
Moving the Site from Another Hosting Company to Cloudways and Transferring Between Different Servers in Cloudways
Migrating site from another hosting provider to Cloudways is very simple. All you need to do is sign up with Cloudways and create a server (it’s better a bit too weak than too strong – later you can transfer your website to a more efficient server very quickly), and then install the Cloudways WordPress Migrator plugin in your dashboard (what’s interesting, this plugin is based on the excellent, recommended by me, BlogVault service). The next steps are described in Cloudways support section.
All available servers can be scaled by increasing the disk space or switching to a more powerful configuration.
Cloudways – Pros & Cons
– all data is stored on SSDs;
– integrated CDN (works quite well but I recommend using Cloudflare anyway);
– the ability to create an unlimited number of servers and websites;
– free SSL certificates;
– backups created with the frequency selected by the user;
– very low server fees;
– smooth operation of SFTP connections;
– separate directories for separate sites (applications) instead of subfolders known from other hosting companies;
– pay as you go payments;
– the ability to transfer or clone the site to any other server (same or different provider);
– huge selection of server locations;
– the ability to change the server for more expensive or cheaper one;
– user-friendly interface;
– the possibility of a smooth and easy migrating the site from another hosting company using Cloudways WordPress Migrator plugin;
– no forward contracts, the possibility of cancellation at any time;
– quite good servers for very low fees.
Kinsta is also one of the best hosting providers in the world. For many people this is the absolute no. 1!
This company was founded in December 2013.
Another advantage of Kinsta is the lack of restrictions on the number of available CPU cores and the amount of RAM. Autoscaling dynamically allocates resources based on the demand for more or less website traffic.
Where is the catch then? After all, a 96-core processor and over 100 GB of RAM for literally $30 or $60 a month seems unbelievable…
The answer is very easy – there are no restrictions in RAM and CPU usage, but there are limitations concerning the number of your site’s visitors. The exact values are visible on the penultimate screenshot, and every 1,000 of extra visitors costs 1 USD.
At first sight, it may seem as a very unreasonable solution, but my experience shows that it is much more reasonable solution than SiteGround’s cloud hosting.
You can find more information about Kinsta in my Kinsta review.
By the way, since October 2019 both my blogs are hosted with Kinsta. 🙂
Kinsta – Pros & Cons
– all available servers belong to Google;
– 96 CPU cores and more than 100 GB of RAM available in every price package;
– user-friendly interface;
– separate pages are stored in separate catalogs;
– daily automatic backups;
– the option of changing the server to a more expensive or cheaper one;
– a guarantee that the server will handle any load – in case of higher traffic the server will work all the time, at most an additional fee will be charged (however, higher traffic usually translates into a greater number of shares, greater brand recognition and a larger number of transactions, so maybe it is worth paying this fee);
– technical support as professional as in SiteGround.
– not the lowest price for the start and some risk of incurring additional fees;
Examples Of Other Well-Known Hosting Companies
It is difficult to guarantee satisfaction of their potential customer looking at the fact that a lot of people move their websites from these companies to providers which I recommend in this article.
I have not personally tested the companies mentioned in this part of the article.
However, I have tested the hosting offered by Flywheel and I have to admit that the results of the tests disappointed me quite much.
Hosting is based on the Google Cloud platform, and yet in many tests the page loading time was as high as 10-20 seconds.
Closte also has an interesting offer. This provider’s services are based on Google architecture – both servers, CDN, DNS, as well as protection against attacks.
What’s interesting, there are no pricing packages. Charges are calculated depending on the CPU, RAM, disk consumption etc. The rates are included in a pricing.
The downside is that it is very difficult to transfer any page to Closte without contacting technical support.
No fixed fees at a certain amount and payment for the use of individual functions and components can be both an advantage and a disadvantage.
If you are interested in quite good web hosting that you can get for the least amount of money, it will be definitely Cloudways.
Best Web Hosting 2020 Sorted By Features
– autoscaling at no extra charge – WPX Hosting;
– the ability to quickly transfer the site to any server of any of five suppliers – Cloudways;
– largest disk space – Cloudways;
– cheapest cloud servers – Cloudways;
Rafał Alitojć is a graduate of two universities (PWSZ in Zamość and PJATK in Warsaw).
Besides, he is the founder & owner of AliveBetter blog where you can find some cool information mainly about blogging, SEO, and marketing, but also about personal development, finance, health, traveling, IT, and education.